The Montessori West Schools are now accepting new enrollments. Please contact your preferred school for availability. Space is limited, and will be until ratio restrictions are eased or lifted.
We have done extensive training on COVID-19 safety and mitigation protocols with all our staff and implemented new practices and procedures to combat the spread of the coronavirus. You can rest assured that your child’s health and safety is our top priority. We collaborate directly with the Alameda and Santa Clara County Health and Office of Education Departments and California Childcare Community Licensing for mandated protocols while at the same time following all guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We closely monitor new developments daily to keep our practices and procedures current with the latest information available.
Some changes you will see
- Our facilities are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized many times throughout the day and nightly with CDC approved cleaning supplies.
- Staff will stay with the same group of children, as much as possible.
- Children will stay in social “bubbles” for minimum three-week periods, as much as possible.
- Children’s belongings are kept separately or widely spaced.
- Children work areas are assigned and spread out to practice social distancing. They have their own set of commonly used work materials.
- Children and staff practice proper hand washing many times throughout the day.
- Children eat snack and lunch in their assigned work area.
- Playground time is staggered, one class at a time.
- Bathroom stations are distanced or used one at a time.
- Nap areas are distanced as required by regulations.
- Circle or gatherings times will be done practicing social distancing.
Prior and Upon Arrival
- Parents/guardians are asked to be vigilant in observing their child for any signs of illness or change in behavior.
- Fever reducing medication should not be administered prior to bringing their child to school.
- Signs are posted outside the school informing all that face masks are required to enter the building; social distancing is in practice; not to enter if sick; restricted access to staff only. While any unnecessary access is strongly discouraged, any parent may enter their child’s school at any time.
- Staff are using personal protective equipment. Face masks are required before entering the school and staff will take their temperature immediately upon arrival.
- Upon arrival for the child, staff make a visual inspection of the child for signs of illness, which could include flushed cheeks, rapid or labored breathing (without recent physical activity), fatigue, or extreme fussiness, and confirm that the child is not experiencing coughing or shortness of breath.
- Temperatures will be taken for all prior to entering the classrooms. No one will be admitted if they have a temperature over 100.3 or are feeling ill.
- Hand sanitizer is provided at the entrance and will be used before entering the classroom.
- Children change into indoor shoes when coming into the classroom.
- Children are walked to their classroom by a staff member.
- Children are picked up at the end of their school day practicing social distancing outside the classrooms or the school.
While these changes might seem restrictive, keep in mind children often accept changes more readily than adults. Children are encouraged to freely talk with their friends and play with each other practicing social distancing. As usual Montessori teachers will be giving individual lessons using our proven teaching methods. Lesson plans and observations of the children’s progress will continue as normal. Parent contact with your child’s teacher is encouraged to be done through email or a phone call. If in person meetings are necessary, social distancing outdoors will be encouraged whenever possible. We want all children to have an enjoyable day with social interaction while mitigating risk.
Please enjoy our picture gallery compilation from all of our facilities for a “virtual tour” to help ease any concerns you might have and to have insight on your child’s day. We will also answer any questions you have via phone call, email or socially distancing outdoors and further instructions will be given for enrollment.